“A happening is a performance, event or situation meant to be considered art, usually asperformance art. Happenings occur anywhere and are often multi-disciplinary, with anonlinear narrative and the active participation of the audience. Key elements of happenings are planned but artists sometimes retain room for improvisation. This new media art aspect to happenings eliminates the boundary between the artwork and its viewer.” Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happening
What is MIIS Happening?
A two hour Pecha Kucha-inspired event featuring short 6 minute and 40 second (20 slides x 20 seconds) talks, by MIIS students, staff, and faculty. The program will be generated through a massively open invitation for contributions by MIIS community members from all walks of campus. We’re seeking 20×20’s to inspire, engage and entertain a diverse audience, promote cross-disciplinary sharing, put a dent in programmatic silos, stir up some serendipity, celebrate creativity, and generally mix things up for a couple of hours. Talks may be inspired by storytelling or any number of themes, such as: change, place, culture, immersion, identity, adaptation, systems, ecologies, climate, language, among others. MIIS Happening! is two hours of participatory, fly-by-the-seat of your-pants intellectual exchange and exploration of unexpected connections among fields and schools of thought across the campus! MIIS Happening! is for everyone being shaped by and shaping MIIS.
April 16, 2015 Happening Archives
How can I get involved?
We are seeking 20×20 presentations from across the MIIS community. To get involved:
1. Drop in to an info session to learn more!
- Info session #1, Wednesday, April 6, 1:00-2:00pm, Pacific Room, MG210
- Info session #2, Tuesday, April 12, 12:00-1:00pm, Pacific Room, MG210
Can’t make it to the info sessions? Check out the Presenter toolkit to learn more.
2. Choose to participate as a presenter! (Sign up here)
3. Come to the Design & Feedback Clinic for help with your Pecha Kucha!
Design & Feedback Clinic #1, Wednesday, April 20,1:00-2:00pm, DLC Design Space (Sign up below)
Design & Feedback Clinic #2, Tuesday, April 26,12:00-1:00pm, DLC Design Space (Sign up below)
PARTICIPATE IN A PECHA KUCHA DESIGN CLINIC
Current Sign-up Sheets
No sheets currently available at this time.
4. Come to the happening to see what’s happening, either as a spectator, supporter, spontaneous participator, or presenter!
- MIIS Happening—the main event, Thursday, April 28, 12:00-2:00pm, Holland Center!