Earlier this year, the Fund for Innovation approved a $2,000.00 fast track grant to explore the potential of virtual reality in language and intercultural learning contexts. The original FFI proposal, drafted by MIIS graduate student Bryan Gershater, imagined opportunities for MIIS community members to experience both highly immersive VR environments like those available through tools such as the Occulus Rift or the HTC Vive, as well as lower threshold VR encounters with 360 video and images through Google Cardboard viewers, smartphones, and mobile applications.
Here are some ways that you can get involved in the exploration of DLC virtual reality technology.
1. Immerse Yourself
Use our appointment system to book a 30-60 minute block of time to try out the DLC’s HTC Vive VR equipment. Click on the “Virtual Reality Orientation” service and then select a DLC staff member as your VR assistant.
2. Geek Out – Play & Create
The DLC will be scheduling a number of “geek out” sessions and brown bag conversations on virtual reality as an emerging technology.
Schedule of Upcoming Events
- Fund for Innovation Fest: Friday, April 7th 10am – 12pm DLC
- Intro to VR Geek Out: Wednesday, March 15th 4-5pm DLC Design Space
- More to be announced soon!
These sessions will include opportunities to learn about accessible applications of VR content viewing and creation such as:
- Interacting with VR content such as 360 narratives using inexpensive Google Cardboard Viewers and smartphone
- Trying free Google Street View app with Cardboard and 360 image capture tool
- Creating 360 images and audio with Google Cardboard camera app (Android/iOS)
- Prototyping interactive VR content with Thinglink VR editor; for example:
- Creating 360 videos and images with DLC Theta S camera
iLead+Design 2016 guest stoke exploring improv to improve community action projects with local organizations. Thank you April and Galen! #designthinking #ileaddesign – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA
- Thinking critically about the affordances and limits of VR for learning