The Digital Learning Commons offers customized support for students, faculty, staff, and the broader MIIS community in the form of individual consultations and group workshop trainings.
- The Design Space is McGowan 001, which is most directly accessed at 420 Calle Principal. It can also be accessed by walking through the Learning Lab and down the steps.
- The Learning Lab is on the first floor of McGowan, and you can reach it by entering McGowan on Pacific Street and heading to the right (around the back of McGowan 102). You can also enter at 420 Calle Principal and go up the stairs.
- There has recently been a transition of the former Co-working Suite (as of November, 2017). DLC full-time staff have transitioned down the hall, to MG 213 and MG 220. See this link for more information.
Reserve a DLC Space
- Our Design Sp@ce (MG001) is a common area that you can customize to your needs, such as classroom-style, lounge area, or small working groups. We encourage students and faculty to reserve the D Sp@ce for classes, events and projects. When not reserved, it’s open to all as a place to come study, have meetings, or just hang out between classes. View our online availability calendar here.
- We have two recording booths (Learning Lab) set up with microphones and software to record podcasts, edit media projects, conduct virtual meetings or interviews, etc. Reserve a recording booth here.
- The former Pacific Room is reservable via the MIIS Room Reservation system, as “MG 210-C.” It is good for small group meetings or quiet study space.
Appointments and Drop-ins
Whether MIIS faculty, staff, or student, if you need help with something, we recommend that you schedule an appointment with us. You can also drop-in to the DLC for help, Mon-Fri, during our open hours. Just look for anyone wearing a name tag or lanyard; we are all happy to help!
Graduate assistants and staff are on hand in the Learning Lab to field questions and assist with projects that might include a variety of tools with digital or design components:
Academic Cyberinfrastructure Platforms
- Course Hub http://courses.miis.edu
- Canvas https://middlebury.instructure.com
- MiddCreate http://middcreate.net (@middlebury.edu)
- WordPress http://sites.miis.edu
- Google Apps for Edu http://go.miis.edu/googledrive (@middlebury.edu)
- Qualtrics http://go.miis.edu/qualtrics (@middlebury.edu)
- Panopto http://go.middlebury.edu/panopto (@middlebury.edu)
- Zoom http://go.middlebury.edu/zoom (@middlebury.edu)
Multimedia – Audio & Video
- Video Editing (iMovie, Camtasia, YouTube Editor, Wevideo, Final Cut Pro)
- Audio Recording and Editing, Podcasting (Garage Band, Audacity, Camtasia)
- Digital Storytelling (Garage Band, Audacity, Camtasia, Soundslides, Adobe Spark)
- Voiceover Lectures and Presentations (Camtasia)
- Skype recording, Screencasting (Skype Recorder, Camtasia)
Presentation & Graphic Design
- Photo Editing (Photoshop, PicMonkey)
- Presentation Tools (Keynote, Powerpoint, Prezi)
- Infographics (Piktochart, Canva)
- Digital Signs, Fliers, Banners, Posters, etc. (Powerpoint, Keynote, Canva, Photoshop, Word, Easel.ly, InDesign)
Blogging & Web Tools
- Website Design, Course Portfolios, Blogging (WordPress, Weebly, Blogger)
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Data Analysis (Excel, Tableau, Qualtrics, and more) — These tools are actually supported by the META Lab
- Design Thinking
- Project & Idea Development
Schedule an Appointment for a Consultation
Students or faculty requiring more advanced support are welcome to set up appointments with specific staff or GAs. Link to: Appointment Request Form
Skill-Building Workshops & Resources
We also occasionally host a series of skill-building workshops in the Design-Sp@ce located in the McGowan Building at 420 Calle Principal St.
We would like to remind you about our campus-wide access to Lynda.com online video training and tutorials for software you or your students may be working with. To access these videos go to http://go.miis.edu/lynda and login with your MIIS username and password.
Course Project Support
We’ve had great success in consulting with classes that are integrating website projects, presentation skills, digital stories, podcasting and tele-collaboration.