MIIS students lose access to their accounts six months after graduation. During those six months, they would ideally move all of their website content over to a self-hosted server, or WordPress.com, if they want to keep it. If they do lose access, they can create a guest account, be added back as admins of their sites. However, we can’t guarantee that they will always have access, even as a guest user, because sometime after graduation, sites may be deleted.
Here is how to make a guest account:
- Go to https://middguests.middlebury.edu and choose “Register an Account.”
- Fill out the form and remember to use a personal email address, like gmail or yahoo (or whatever service you use)
- This puts you in the system as a guest user.
- While you still have access to your site, log in with your MIIS user ID and add your “guest” self as an administrator to your website. (If you don’t have access anymore, you can email the DLC (firstname.lastname@example.org) the personal email address you used, and we can add you.)
- You should then be able to log in with that personal email address and new password.
Here are the steps for exporting/importing a WordPress site to another WordPress instance.
- Log into the dashboard of your site and go to Tools > Export.
- Choose All Content, Download Export File.
- This will give you a file with the extension .xml.
- Create a new WordPress site elsewhere, for example at wordpress.com.
- Log into the dashboard of your new site and go to Tools > Import.
- Choose Wordpress from the list.
- Click the Choose File button and choose the .xml file you had downloaded.
- Click Upload File and Import.
- If you are given the option, Download Attachments, and Choose how to attribute authors.
Now all your pages will be in your new site, ready to edit. You will have to re-choose a theme and make any customizations for your theme, header, and settings, because those don’t transfer over.
Make an appointment if you have questions or need help walking through these steps.